University of New Hampshire

School of Law

School of Law

LLM, Master & Diploma Admissions – Student Visa

Procedures for International Students

Before entering the University of New Hampshire School of Law, international students must obtain a student visa. Follow the instructions on the pages in this section for obtaining your student visa.

1.  Complete and return the International Applicant Financial Declaration. Provide all of the information requested and necessary documents.

2.  Once we receive your completed International Applicant Financial Declaration, original signed supporting financial statements, and $500 seat deposit, we will prepare and mail to you either:

  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1), Student Status (Form I-20); or
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1), Status (Form DS-2019)

3.  When you receive the I-20 or DS-2019 from the University of New Hampshire School of Law, complete Form I-901 and pay the SEVIS fee at Print a copy of the receipt and bring it with you to the visa interview.

4.  Make an appointment with the nearest American Embassy or Consulate and apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa. You must have an F-1 or J-1 visa to enter the United States as a potential student.

Present the following documents with your visa application:

        a.  Proof of financial ability

        b.  Letter of admission from the University of New Hampshire School of Law

        c.  A valid passport

        d.  Form I-20 or DS-2019

        e.  Receipt of SEVIS fee payment

        f.  Any other requirements stated in the embassy website

You may enter the U.S. no more than 30 days from the start of your program. Hand carry items a-f (above) as well as any documents given to you by the U.S. Consular Office.

5. When you go through U.S. Customs, you will be asked to present your I-20/DS-2019, passport and I-94 card (Arrival-Departure Record that you will get from the airline).

This card asks for basic information, such as name, country of citizenship, passport number, address, etc.

If you have not yet located an apartment in Concord, use the address of University of New Hampshire School of Law (formerly Franklin Pierce Law Center) as printed on your I-20 or DS-2019.

You will have a short interview with a Customs officer and, if all paperwork is in order, s/he will stamp your passport, I-20/DS-2019 and I-94 card with "F-1/DS or J-1/DS." This reflects the type of visa you hold and the length of authorized stay. "DS" stands for "duration of status." If they do not stamp "DS," ask why.

6. When you arrive at UNH School of Law, you are required to check in with the International Student Advisor, who must confirm your arrival, your local address, and telephone number. Bring your passport, I-20 or DS-2019 and those of any dependents traveling with you.

Note: Click here for additional information on funding sources for international students.