University of New Hampshire

School of Law

School of Law

International Students - New Students, What to Bring

Useful items
Bringing your family

Useful Items to Consider Bringing

Clothing  |   Credit card  |  Dental & vision care updated  |  Dictionaries  |  Drivers license and vehicle info.  |  Funds  |  Info. about your country  |  Medical/health insurance | Medicine kit  |  Spices  |  Transcripts

Clothing - Versatile

Because of changing seasons, it is important to be prepared for changing weather. Rain-repellent outerwear, waterproof footwear and umbrellas will help. Mittens, hats, insulated boots and warm coats are essential in the winter.

Dress code is casual at school, but you might want to bring something more formal for social events. Your national dress is always welcome for special occasions.

Credit Card

A credit card is a convenient way to pay for purchases, hotels, car rentals, etc. Do not give your credit card number over the phone or the Internet unless you initiate the contact.

Dental & Vision Care Updated

Dental and vision care are not often covered by the insurances offered, so we recommend that you get your teeth and eyes checked before leaving home.

Remember to keep your current insurance coverage in full force and effect until the effective dates of the school policies.


Your native language legal dictionary will be very helpful. A bilingual general dictionary may be used in classes and exams. You cannot use an electronic dictionary during exams.

Drivers License & Vehicle Information

If you plan to purchase a car, bring a "good driver letter" from your auto insurance company at home. It may help you save on the cost of auto insurance in the US.

If you are not licensed to drive in your country, you may have to take a certified driving course to get a NH driver's license.

For more information on driver licensing visit UNH ISSO driving page. If you have an international driver’s license or a driver’s license from your home country, it will be helpful to have those with you.


It is imperative that you bring with you, in US dollars, the money to cover tuition and living expenses. You need to have available funds.

Remember: students on an F-1 visa can only work on campus and there are very few jobs available to international students. You cannot have a job off campus.

Information About Your Country

Your home country's music, costume, customs and IP laws are basic knowledge you will find useful during presentations you will make about your country in the spring semester.

Medical/health Insurance

All students that are in the U.S. on an F1 or J1 visa and are enrolled in a degree program at UNH School of Law are required to enroll in the UNH Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP).

Medicine Kit

Bring your doctor's prescriptions and any medication that you take regularly. Know the generic equivalent of your medications because they are cheaper to buy. Prescription medicine is very expensive in the U.S., as are all medical services.

We recommend you undergo a general physical exam before coming.

Spices You Commonly Use

If you plan to cook, bring spices that you are accustomed to. They might just be the right touch to make you feel at home.

Transcripts - Academic

All students need to ask their degree-granting undergraduate and/or law school to send an official copy of their academic transcript directly to the University of New Hampshire School of Law.  LSDAS and WES do not count as an official copy.

LLM students: If you plan to take a US bar exam, the state bar examiners will require an official copy of your law degree. Please request a copy before you leave home.

Getting to UNH Law

Click here for directions.

Bringing Your Family

School-age children (ages 6 to 16) are required to attend school.

To enroll them, you will need to have their:

  • Official birth certificate
  • School records
  • Medical history
  • Immunization record

Childcare centers for preschool children and after-school programs in the Concord area are expensive and often have waiting lists. It may take some time to make childcare arrangements. Please refer to the Child Care section  for more information. Read more>> Student Survival Guide

Family members who accompany you must have medical insurance if they are on J-2 visas and should have insurance if they come as F-2. Medical insurance is expensive, but uninsured medical services and prescriptions are even more expensive. Please keep that in mind.

Dependent spouses of international students on F-1 status are not eligible to work under any circumstances. They can, however, attend language school like Second Start or other part-time vocational or recreational programs.