University of New Hampshire

School of Law

School of Law

LLM, Master & Diploma Admissions – Frequently Asked Questions

admissions  |  academics  |  student life


What graduate programs does the UNH School of Law offer?

• UNH Law offers an LL.M. and an interdisciplinary Master degree program in: Commerce & Technology, Intellectual Property and International Criminal Law and Justice.

• UNH Law also offers a one-semester Diploma program in Commerce & Technology and Intellectual Property.
For whom is the program suited?

• The LL.M. program is appropriate for domestic and foreign-trained attorneys who seek specialized training.

• The IP Master program is appropriate for domestic and foreign engineers, scientists or business professionals who seek a specialized degree.

• The ICLJ Master program is appropriate for professionals, students and scholars in diplomatic, criminal, military or law enforcement communities around the globe.
What are the admission requirements?

• All of the requirements are listed on the application checklist page.
Do I need a law degree to be admitted into the LL.M. program?

• All LL.M. applicants must have completed a JD, LLB or a recognized equivalent law degree, or have credentials that demonstrate equivalent qualification through relevant professional experience, as outlined in the Graduate Program Admission Standards.

Do I need a law degree to be admitted into the Master program?

• No.
Will I be required to take the LSAT examination?

• No.
Is work experience required?

• No.
Who is exempt from the language proficiency requirement?

• You may be exempt from providing a language proficiency examination requirement if English is your native language or you received a degree from a college or university where the language of instruction was English.
I’m in the United States, and it’s going to be difficult to obtain the original academic documents.  Will you accept photocopies?

• No.
Should my transcript be evaluated before I submit it?

• No, but transcripts need to be translated into English.
Am I required to register for the LSAC LL.M. Credential Assembly Service?

• No, the use of the service is not required.

• An application can be submitted through the LSAC service or an applicant can apply online through our website.
When can I begin the program? 

• Students have the option to enroll in the fall (August), spring (January) or summer (May) terms.

• Please see How to Apply for specific entry terms.

• UNH Law has rolling admissions, so applying early is very important. Late applicants are evaluated if time and space permit.
When are classes scheduled?

• Classes are typically scheduled Mondays through Fridays during the morning and early afternoon.


How many credits are necessary to complete the degree?

• LLM needs 24 credits, Master needs 30 credits
May I receive credit toward my graduate degree at UNH Law for the Patent Application Drafting and Infringement Avoidance Strategies (PADIAS) course I took prior to enrollment?

The Patent Application Drafting and Infringement Avoidance Strategies (PADIAS) Policy will help with this question.
Am I eligible to participate in an internship/externship?

• Yes. Residential LL.M. and Master candidates, with a Honors average or better at the end of their first semester, may be eligible for an externship.
May I transfer to the Juris Doctor program after matriculating in the Master or LL.M. program?

• Students enrolled in the Master or LL.M. program may apply to the JD program after completing their first semester.

• For additional information, please refer to the JD Admissions Office.


Student Life

What are my housing options?

• UNH Law provides an updated housing list in late fall and late spring.

• You will need a user name and password to access the housing list; all instructions are posted on the housing website.
Are scholarships or other financial assistance options available to international students?

• Applicants for Residential programs are eligible for scholarships.

• Priority will be given to individuals who apply before April 1 for the fall term and November 1 for the spring term.

• To be considered for a scholarship, applicants must also request a scholarship under the Financial Assistance Section in the application.

• Federal financial aid is available to US citizens or permanent residents of the United States.

• Eligible students must complete a FAFSA form online, and a financial aid award letter will be sent to qualified students shortly thereafter.

After completion of the LL.M. program, will I be eligible to take a bar examination?

• Please visit the American Bar Association's website for a state-by-state guide to bar examination requirements.