University of New Hampshire

School of Law

School of Law

Financial Aid – Work Study Program

The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program allows a qualifying U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S., who has applied for financial aid by completing their FAFSA, to earn money instead of borrowing it. This benefits a student in lessening their total debt burden. Keep in mind, FWS is awarded to students on a very limited basis.

Once a student is hired by an on or off campus employer, the student’s financial aid package is adjusted to allow for the FWS award. A Student Payroll Authorization Form (SPAF) will then be prepared by the Financial Aid Office. Once Financial Aid, the student, and the supervisor sign off on the form, the student must bring it to the Business Services Office with necessary forms for I-9 and W-4. The student will then be “on boarded” into the payroll system.

In some instances, the student’s expected family contribution figure from FAFSA may prevent a FWS award from being made. The Financial Aid Office will notify both the supervisor and student if this is the case.

In order to be considered for all types of federal financial aid, including Federal Work Study, you must complete and submit all financial aid documents as described in the Financial Aid Application Procedures section.

Student Employment Policies & Practices can be found in the Student Handbook Policies Procedures, & Academic Rules. (p. 17)

Students must provide a valid legal proof of identification to the Business Office prior to starting work such as a:

• Passport
• Photo drivers license
• Original birth certificate
• Social Security Card
• Other valid legal form of ID
Students are paid $10 per hour for on-campus jobs.
Typically, students work between 5 and 15 hours per week.
No student is permitted to work more than 20 hours per week when classes are in session.
Students may work up to 37.5 hours per week during vacation periods with prior approval from their supervisor.